Wednesday, August 14, 2013

The Evil Dead - Blu ray - 4 Stars

                          The Evil Dead (2013) - Great movie, just don't try comparing it to the original.

EvilDead2013Poster.jpg 
          
           "The Evil Dead, hell yeah I wanna see that!!!" Quoted from one Big Real, said to his wife upon seeing this commercial for the first time.  His wife responds, "Uhh,...No." I in turn say, "HWHAT!?!" (channeling my best Lil Jon impersonation.) "Well, It looks disgusting." - End Conversation. Guess what,.... she was right. It was. Disgusting. Disgusting and AWESOME!!!!
            First off, the technicalities. The Evil Dead was released theatrically April 5th, 2013, followed by the DVD and blu-ray released on July 16th, 2013. Staring Jane Levy(Mia Allen), Shiloh Fernandez(David Allen), Lou Taylor Pucci(Eric) and Rupert Degas(Demons Voice) to name a few.
            A remake of Sam Raimi's monumental cult classic, originally released in 1981 and staring the "One who shall be named" Bruce fraggle-rockin Campbell! Let's be clear on something here. I am thankful for a handful of things, my wife, my dog, my PS3 and Bruce fraggle-rockin Campbell! He's awesome. Try to argue that point,... please,..just try. You won't though. Why? Because he's AWESOME! When he was born the doctor hugged Bruce Campbell's mother, thanked her, gave her $50.00 and never charged her a cent. To be clear Mr. Campbell also had a hand in this incarnation of The Evil Dead. He, along with Sam Raimi and Robert Tapert produced this movie, while Fede Alvarez was personally selected by Mr. Raimi to direct it. They even went as far as to use audio from the original. 
            I do find it interesting that in general, the film review communities were extremely harsh on this movie. I've heard numerous times that, "This movie SUCKS compared to the original!" and various other similar complaints since its release. One thing to know about me is that I am a horror film fanatic. Not the, dress up like Freddy Kruger/Jason Vorhees, fanatic. I just take horror movies serious and appreciate them for what they are or are trying to be. That said, I am also really hard on horror movies. It's rare for me to be amazed or for matter horrified by a horror movie. So after hearing all the bad, negative and down right scathing reviews of The Evil Dead I got a little nervous. However once I watched the film, I couldn't quite wrap my head around why so many people hated it. I do agree that its not "as good" as the original. It isn't. However, let's keep it real in saying that these two films should not be compared to each other. It's not fair to either film. The original had a $90,000.00 budget and was at best a C level, campy, cheesy gorefest that created a perfect storm of awesome. I hate to say it was luck but it was. Luck and BRUCE CAMPBELL. It reminds me of the popularity of Troll 2. The original Evil Dead by all standards should have been awful but it wasn't, it was great. This recent version had a budget of $17,000,000,000.00. That to say the least is a huge difference and is noticeable,....as if it couldn't be.
         It's not hard to tell that I am a fan of this movie. It was great. The acting was solid, the audio was good, setting and location were on point. I mean it was all done right. My only complaint, is a consistent complaint that I have with all horror films. Why does everyone in horror movies seem to have never watched a scary movie? For me, it just comes off as pure laziness on a film writers part. Having characters do things that no sane person would even begin to consider doing. For example. Big Real is with 5 friends on a vacation. Sounds fun Right? Over the course of 24 hours, 3 of them are horribly killed in unexplainable "accidents". Scary? Could be. Would Big Real stay? Hell, I don't know because I, Big Real, would have left 5 minutes after the first death! I'm not rich and cherish any vacation I can manage to get but screw that mess,..I'm out! There is no convincing me to stay. You'd be wasting your breath and might get throat punched for the sheer stupidity of not only asking me to stay but being in between my car and myself. Anyway, to continue, I will admit that there is a lot of blood and gore. Really though there was no way around that and there shouldn't be. That's why movies have ratings and commercials, to help steer people who don't like that kind of stuff away from it. Plain and simple I rated this movie 4 stars. It's not perfect and it's lacking that over the top, unexplainable quality that movies I rate 5 stars have. So rent it, buy it , whatever it but do take the time to see it. 

                    

No comments:

Post a Comment